Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Humble Heart

During the challenges of life I have been able to learn who I am with a much more humble heart. I have learned to push aside my ego for the sake of bringing glory to God. It was during these challenges that God revealed to me the passion of writing, speaking and ministering to others as they encounter their very own challenges. I thank God for every revelation about who I am and who I hope to become.


As a woman originally convinced that the challenges in my marriage were related to our differences, God has humbled me to the truth that I was overlooking so much in my husband. It has been through the challenges of my marriage that I have learned the most humbling experience of truly putting someone (other than my children) before me. As I continue to discover my weaknesses, I am enlightened to my husband's strengths. These are strengths that he may have even forgotten about.

If it were not for the wisdom & leading of God, I would have surrendered to the defeat within my marriage. But by God's grace I continue to learn to accept that the beauty of our marriage is within those differences. The strength in the unfamiliar is what challenges me to be the best wife and woman, without the expectation that my husband fulfill my happiness. It seems that it is in those moments that I question most where I must change, I receive the most clear answers.

If it were not for God's grace & wisdom, I would not have had my husband's silent strength by my side during the most difficult times of my life. If it were not for God's forgiveness on me for taking a gift for granted, I would not be the woman I am today.

Every relationship has challenges; whether friendship, family or children, but when we humble ourselves enough to accept that God has brought us together for a reason beyond our own happiness - we ourselves are blessed with a "peace that surpasses all understanding". We learn to patiently pray for peace and understanding, we grow in our faith, and most importantly we begin to remove the responsibility of another person to make us happy. We are then able to look at a person with the simple understanding that we are all God's children, everyone of us - and God has entrusted us with each other so that we may learn to be the example of Christ that we have been called to be.

“And so, dear brothers and sisters I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him. Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us.” Romans 12:1-3
© 2011 by Christina Valdez. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment