Friday, July 23, 2010

Stay Gold Pony Boy!

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman --he looks tough and I don't--but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. " Any fellow fan of The Outsiders will recognize those words clearly and they bring a smile to your face. It was only as I was determining my topic for the day that I was able to really appreciate those first words from Pony Boy's mouth. As Pony Boy spoke of his admiration for Paul Newman it made clear that there was a longing in his heart to be different than who he currently was. Everyone has a story in life, and that story shapes who we become and our perception and relation to life. I've always felt that I was different from those around me, at times I've wished I was just like everyone else - that way life would be less complex for me. As I have experienced life, struggled, grown and been strengthened; I've learned more about who I am and who I am growing into. I've recognized and admired traits in others through out life or in their passing. Sometimes you don't appreciate a trait until it is only a memory, a longing for it to return. In reflection as to who my mother was, I have learned who I am. I have learned that she lives in me and through me. Her love for life, her desire to live life like no one is watching, her lack of intimidation in social situations. Every moment that I struggle with discomfort in my growth, I reflect on the traits in others that I have admired in life. I have come to a deeper understanding that if these are traits I admire, than these are attainable within myself. If I value these traits, then there is potential within me to reflect those traits myself. But it all requires the determination to venture into the land of discomfort. Challenge yourself to learn how to relate to the desire you have in your heart to become that trait that you admire. A poem is referenced in The Outsiders by Robert Frost. They are a deep reflection of a yearning to be more in life, to prevent life's challenges from defining life. A desire to remain pure in mind and spirit.

Nothing Gold Can StayBy Robert Frost
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
Dawn goes down by day.
Nothing gold can stay.

I researched the meaning of this poem and it says "It could be argued that youth and beauty are corrupted by the passage of time, as the first bloom of a tree in spring is soon lost to the growth of maturing leaves." So yes life's experiences begin golden and full of hope, but as life's obstacles challenge us and break us it can alter who we become. It can darken our perception of life and turn to grief. But it is within our ability, to reflect on the golden season of our life. To return to a pure and golden heart. So as Johnny said to Pony..... Stay Gold!

You have been grieved by various trials, that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Peter 1:6-7
© 2011 by Christina Valdez. All rights reserved

1 comment:

  1. This was a powerful message to me this afternoon. It's a message I frequently offer to others, but one I personally find painful and complex to use. My brain and my heart don't see eye to eye.

    ReplyDelete